Saturday, August 14, 2010

Adam Lindsay Gordon Committee AGM

http://www.adamlindsaygordon.org/
An absolutely lousy day winds gusting and rain falling at the minute I should be on my way to the Coleraine Races for the Adam Lindsay Gordon Commemorative Committee AGM. It is one of the benefits of the spirit of Australia's national poet that permeates the committee operations, that the AGM is held at a race meeting. Aside from the fact that Gordon was a champion jockey as well as a member of Parliament, mounted Trooper and other more colourful personal traits which when combined with his use of language became Australian poetry, he most likely rode at Coleraine in his career as well.

Sitting here and busying myself with other tasks and feeling a little guilt at not being at the AGM it is not the end of the world. The past three years have been the least number of performances I have done in any medium for a long time. Fortunately the film making developments and educating myself into this medium kept my creative juices lowing and invigorating my character with the vigour that artistic endeavour give me.

With a documentary project up and runing for the next 9 months plus live performances scheduled for October/November this year it is great to be back into the game again. Standup is still a passion that I have not organisd any shows for yet and will get itself an airing once I finish the writing of the next pile of material into a usable form. Best of all is the gradual peeks of an onstage persona that is poking it's head and mouth out from time to time of late and getting some laughs. Who would have ever thought that being a fool took so much effort!

Thank you for your time and attention, Geoff

2 comments:

Lad Litter said...

So much of life is froth and bubble,
But two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
And courage in your own.

I always read those words anew when I walk past the statue near State Treasury.

geoff said...

Gordon did have a knack with his words and it was one of the surprises in reading his Australian poems how many of those verses were part of comman adages passed on. "life is not all Beer and skittles" comes from another of his verses. The ALG Committee meet every year on the June 24th anniversary of his death and hold a celebration at the statue in Spring Street.