Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Next Gig, bloody Joan Rivers

The Penguin Hunter Diaries
Bloody Joan Rivers made me laugh on the Logies, on Sunday night. At the same time I just knew it was going to mean I am going to have to explain my next shows content to the community group organising it. Got a phone call yesterday arvo that there is a meeting at the venue today and yes the content of what I am going to do came up. I lied of course because I have no idea what I am going to do until I walk out on stage.

It's actually pretty cool as the director of the show is aware of what stand-up is, but the usual meddlers in any community event are putting in their 20cents worth of censorship. I don't often do community events purely for that reason. People who have never been to a stand-up gig giving 'advice' about what can be done in the act. It's like meeting people and they tell me that they are a doctor and when I say I do stand-up in my job getting that reply. "Oh I have lots of funny stories to tell, I'd be a good comedian" Shit yeah, and this morning I woke up and though bloody hell I'd make a great brain surgeon how about you do my gig tonight and I'll do your surgery.

It seems that once again the conservative element think I am going to come out and swear. Coz that is what stand-up comedy is.

Thankyou for your time and attention, Geoff

2 comments:

Kaufman said...

I hope you do/did swear. At least once. Otherwise, it would be like seeing an episode of that show with Daryl Somers and that ostrich. Oh, for fuck's sake, my timing's gone to the shitter and I've forgotten my lines.

Really; doctors tell you that they'd make good stand-up comedians? I won't say that my image of SA has changed completely but I will say that it's clearing up.

geoff said...

The show is this weekend the 2oth of May, Andy. I am still thinking about it. Brilliant you forgot the name of the Ostrich!?. Doctors and lawyers as well but I can wake up some morning and admit there are some things even I won't do.