Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Keith Open a good finish...

27/6/12 Wednesday. Have pretty much recovered from playing the two days golfing at Keith on the weekend, still a few tender spots on the body and the tens machine has been working the discomfort out. Have been out on the course practising on Tuesday playing nine holes also a range and practise green session.

The golf itself at Keith went as near as according to plan a round of golf can be imagined. The first day was a club stableford competition and I played with the goal of having fun and getting a look at the course. Had a very poor score a total of 25 points and was not bothered in the slightest with that result. The 150 kilometre drive home was enjoyable, I had the layout of the holes and the various nuances of the greens replaying in my mind as I listened to North Melbourne stitch up the Adelaide Crows.

Sunday morning I arrived in plenty of time after leaving at 8am. Loosening up on the practise fairway and putting greens at Keith before the main event of the Open Competition. The experience of the previous day paid off from the beginning. and a front nine total of 43, with a 4 putt on the par 3 ninth hole the biggest blemish. After the lunch break I came out full of beans for the back nine and continued to attack the individual holes. A few passing showers did break the rythym a little but to no great influence on my game. Two double bogies on the back nine did the damage and the final tally was a 44 for a gross 87 nett 75 with 29 putts.

Unfortunately I tired significantly after the eleventh hole and played a couple of loose drives, chips and putts on the back nine. Finishing the eighteenth hole with a chipped in birdie was a bonus, over all it was a good round of golf and the 5am starts to both days took a toll on my ability to do better. The professional who has been coaching me was in my group on the day, an unexpected bit of good fortune. That was no distraction and it was good to hear the positive recognition of some shots from him.

End result was an overall 7th place finish in A grade, with 3rd place in the A Grade handicap section. Two strokes behind the winner and I will admit to a brief flaring of anger as the presentation was announced. Knowing that I had came so close was a little frustrating, after putting in the effort and coming so close it was just a heated inner flaming of myself that the cold beer and good company soon quenched.

Monday morning was a very sluggish start to the day as soon as I woke and attempted to get out of bed, the stiffness removed any spring in my step. Two days of travelling and golfing had taken their toll and the usual Monday wander around the course for a relaxing smash and bash did not go for long and five holes was enough. Tuesday I forced myself to get out and play nine holes, soon had the comfort and rythym back in my swing. Putting was off target in the practise and a session on the practise green did a good job getting back on target with the flat stick.

This weekend will be a little less golfing than the last, skipping playing on Saturday. The next two Sundays are the second and third rounds of the John Leake Trophy (Stableford), currently sitting four points off the lead I want to be on target this weekend. Following these rounds are the Lucindale CAVPower Open, 22nd and Naracoorte Winter Tournament 27-29th of July. The winter conditions have softened all of the courses in the region with the recent rains. I am feeling confident that the increased distance and accuracy ability which has been developed this season will benefit my coming rounds. Playing at Keith has delivered a confidence boost that was much needed. Having the desire to win an “A” Grade Open Event is not enough. The mental attributes of my game needed exercising to match my playing facets also. Thankyou for your time and attention, “Hit ‘em straight all” 


No comments: