Friday, June 04, 2010

Golf - Eliminated from Handicap championship

Play Your Best Golf - Break 90 Vol 1
May 07 2010  Played my Elimination final yesterday morning and came off second best. Was an excellent game played in good spirits which is always a bit of a challenge to start with, the social side of the game is not high on the agenda in matchplay. Was well beaten with a 5/4 result after 14 holes, yet did not feel disgraced. My opponent played some sensational golf hitting the greens in regulation, my opportunities on the 1st, 4th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th were all missed, no particular fault caused the result, a few bad putts, couple of ‘fat hit’ seconds to the green, and a couple of pitches that did not get close enough to the hole. I drove of the tee well, hitting fairways, the rest of my game was untidy and some poorly executed shots especially seconds, when I had my opponent under pressure cost me dearly in the end.




Was a bit concerned that I would be a “bad sport” in losing, My competitive nature is one thing, speaking what I am thinking might have me belt out something better off not said. Not a problem for most people, in my case though an important part of my career is based on saying the first thing that comes into my head. Now know that I am not a “bad sport”, bugger, would have prefered not to have found out though.



Having benefited in matchplay games before when my opponent was the one whose game was ‘off’ on that day. It is still a surprise to look back at the round and the 7 holes that I let myself down on to such effect. One member at our club goes so far as stating, “he has never been beaten by an opponent in matchplay.” alluding to the reasoning he made some errors and was not outplayed. This is total rubbish, good manners has me hold my tongue in this and I do not ever want to be that full of myself to say the same about any game I play. That is so damn rude to the winners ability to outplay the loser.



My last month of golf has been full of this erratic play, and to be on the receiving end of a couple of shots the opponent pulled out their ar*e this time, shows that golf is the great leveller. Phil Michelson did the same at the Masters this year from off the fairway and won, and at the level we play at the same shots happen. We are more surprised when they do, more luck than practise and skill for us club golfers in those ‘miracle’ shots.



Not at all disheartened with continuing to play as much golf as possible. Like any golfer awareness of other players is more than just keeping score during a round. The demeanour and attitude of other players is a part of the game that is often discussed around a club. Again something that is not a great concern and although warranted for some players when action has to be taken. Often I think it is just pissant bitching that is pathetic if the people saying it don’t have the guts to say it to someone else’s face. It has been refreshing to lose this time, and get benefits for my own game and character. Would much rather be a gracious winner than a good loser though, BUGGER! Thankyou for your time and attention. Hit ‘em straight all

Thankyou for your time and attention, Geoff

No comments: